Letters From Juan by Juan Tamariz (Several Volumes) - Book
You can’t have a conversation about the greatest magicians of all-time without mentioning Juan Tamariz. The renowned magician is an A-List megastar in Spain and his seminal texts and magic theory changed the landscape of magic forever. Now, after 50 years of performing and writing, Juan reflects back on his life in magic by crafting letters to his dearest friend...you!
Letters From Juan is an innovative new approach to learning magic. Instead of being laid out like a traditional magic book, Juan presents everything as a letter to a close magical friend. This is the debut release in a remarkable 6-part series.
These love letters to magic contain captivating close-up magic and stories, as well the closely-guarded secrets to some of Juan Tamariz's most amazing card tricks that have never been published anywhere else. This includes invaluable insights about how to present each effect, as well as a look at the history and variations.
Designed to be easily-digested and enjoyed, there is no space wasted on fluff here. The amount of value Juan packs into Letters From Juan is unparalleled.
So much so that we could never properly summarize it ourselves. Which is why we're going to hand it over to Juan to help you best understand the merit of this remarkable offering.
Contents of Volume 1 include:
- Letter from Juan
- The Shovel
- Color Separation Finale
- The Rainbow Knife
- Pure Olive Oil and Water
Perfect bound, 44 pages.
Contents of Volume 2 include:
- Letter from Juan
- Suicide Poker
- A Suit to Order
- Progressive Color Change (Bicycle Gaff Cards Included)
- Impromptu Double Flying
- Perfect bound, 38 pages
Contents of Volume 3 include:
- Letter from Juan
- Unique Double Prediction
- A One-Armed Tribute
- Impromptu Book Test
- Grand Poker Demonstration (Vernon Formula Plus)
Contents of Volume 4 include:
- Letter from Juan
- A Can of Paint: A hilarious routine with imaginary paint and a beautiful multiple-color change sequence. This is one of the most engaging surprise productions of a four-of-a-kind we have ever seen!
- New Call to the Colors: The cards precisely arrange themselves by color. First, they alternate, then they separate by twos, threes, and groups of ten. The cards are shuffled and the deck finally separates red from black!
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: A musical stage act with a single deck of cards. This amazing piece of magic is a complete show stopper combining music, dance, comedy, and an old-fashioned barn raising!
- The Three Stooges: Juan shows you how to demonstrate your cheating skills with a little help from the audience.
Contents of Volume 5 include:
- Letter from Juan
- Tweezers: A Two-Card Monte - An astonishing variation on the classic two-card Monte effect using Juan’s innovative tweezers move. The magician never touches the Monte cards, and yet they impossibly switch with a pair of cards used as tweezers that have been used to keep the magician honest!
- Dupless Transpo: A transposition routine that can be performed with a borrowed shuffled deck that is in use. This transposition of two cards is extremely clean and doesn’t use any duplicates.
- Polyphony: Juan has tirelessly worked for years to blend two effects into a seamless routine. For you, his friend, he couldn’t stop there and added a third effect to create a powerhouse routine. Three cards, three packets, and three phases. Cards rise to the top of packets, reverse themselves, and travel to the performer’s pockets.
- Impromptu Total Coincidence: Juan’s legendary trick Total Coincidence in which the mates of selected cards are found in the same position of a shuffled deck, and then the entire deck re-orders itself so that all the mates match has long required a special setup done well before the performance takes place. Now, Juan has developed a charming routine that provides strong magic along the way while you set up the Total Coincidence effect right under their nose. Your audience will never see this miracle coming.
Contents of Volume 6 include:
- Letter from Juan
- Aces Through a Book: A brilliant solid through solid effect performed with four signed aces! One ace penetrates the deck. The second ace passes completely through the book. The third is found in the middle of the book, even after a spectator has examined it! The fourth ace has to be seen to be believed.
- Another Suit to Order (Gimmicked Version): Juan shares with you a devious little gaff that makes performing the traditional discovery of a suit in order a modern marvel. You’ll learn some clever forces and revelations from the Maestro himself. The audience feels like they have a free choice, but of course, you are in total control.
- Roulette (A Mnemonica Miracle): The Mnemonica stack becomes an impromptu roulette wheel allowing you to prove you have total control over fate and chance. This routine features a clever force, and a deceptive card at number.
- Multiple Divination: Five packets of cards are shown to five spectators. Everyone remembers a playing card and then shuffles the packets back into the deck. The magician can then name of of the cards the spectators thought of. Juan shares multiple variations with you, both impromptu and with a stacked deck.
"As a wise friend sharing love and guidance, Juan brings you into the fold with charm and warm words: showing his heuristic voyage with deep insight into some astonishing routines and philosophy. Each letter arrives with laughs and diverse ideas for the practical wonderworker. Having a pen pal has never been so exciting!"
- Paul Vigil
"Just when you think Juan has given us his all, a new project appears and it is extraordinary! Letters from Juan allows Juan to share more of his ideas with everyone he loves. A wide variety of Juan's magic is covered in these letters. Juan's letter on "Secrets" was a real inspiration. I won't spoil it, but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did."
- Gary Plants
"Dear Magos and Magas,I occasionally receive advance copies of effects, books or new products with the request that - if I like something - I provide a short, punchy quote for marketing purposes.
So it was with "Letters From Juan", a series of small booklets featuring the work of maestro Juan Tamariz in a friendly, informal style including personal thoughts and observations that perfectly frame his ingenious effects and methods alongside Juan's signature warmth and humour.
But how can I offer an unbiased appraisal of this work when Juan is both the dearest of friends and a guiding light for my own love of magic?
How can I tell you how wonderful this material is or how valuable Juan's thinking might be if I cannot avoid being influenced by my love for Juan and his magic?
The answer - of course - is that I cannot possibly offer an unbiased account of these wonderful and generous booklets but I can add my voice to the many others who will no doubt echo my enthusiasm for this project.
I am fortunate to spend many weeks every year with Juan and in Spain where I continue to be astonished by the passion and creativity the Spaniards have for magic. Over the past thirty years I have learned some of the effects in these booklets and performed them countless times and the old me - the me from not so long ago - might have mourned the "loss" of these secrets that have given me (and my audiences, I hope) great pleasure but today, having learned the value of sharing and generosity in magic, I am genuinely excited for those of you who will discover these beautiful ideas for the first time and make them your own.
I give this project my highest (and extremely biased) recommendation. Not every trick is for every performer but each is a lesson and each is a window into Juan's way of thinking and I've had immense pleasure reading each of Juan's letters; I sincerely hope you will share that experience even if you never perform a single effect - though I am sure you will.
Penguin asked me to record a video but even though I spend most of my time around camera and computers, I felt that the most effective endorsement I could give "Letters from Juan" was in writing and I hope that if you've read this far, you have already decided to treat yourself.
- R. Paul Wilson
In the world of magic, the secret is told when the trick is sold. Accordingly, Magic Inc. has a strict no-refund policy. Thus, once you receive an item, you have access to the secrets included, and that is not something that we can get back from you. For this reason, we do not issue refunds and we do not exchange product that is in working order. However, if the merchandise should be defective, we will gladly replace it with a non-defective version of the same trick. No exceptions.
Merchandise to shipped to customers in the continental United States is shipped via United States Postal Service (USPS) or United Parcel Service Ground (UPS), whenever possible. Merchandise to customers in Alaska and Hawaii is shipped via USPS. Overnight shipping may be requested. You will be charged for the exact cost of the shipping and a small handling fee.
Our website gives you a shipping quote based on the cost of your purchase. We normally adjust the shipping charges to more accurately reflect the cost of shipping, as long as we can ship your purchase for an amount smaller than that quoted.
For shipping outside the United States, charges for international orders are based on the weight and size of your order and will be calculated at the time of shipping. You will be charged the actual postage, plus a small handling fee. Merchandise to international customers is shipped via United States Postal Services (via International Priority Mail).